- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery (about 2 to 3 ribs)
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot (1 small carrot)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups of roughly chopped cauliflower florets
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Heat butter in a large 5-6 quart Dutch oven or thick bottomed pot on medium high heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the onions are softened. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more.
2 Add the stock, cauliflower, bay leaves, thyme, salt and black pepper. Heat on high and bring the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Partially cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.
3 Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves. Using an immersion blender or a standing blender, purée the soup mixture until completely smooth.
4 Slowly add the cheddar cheese, continuing to purée the soup as you add the cheese, until completely blended. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce.
Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed.