- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 10 leaves fresh basil, torn
- Place eggplant slices on a wire rack and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sweat for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- Brush with olive oil on both sides and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove and reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
- Mix ricotta, garlic, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, egg, and pepper in a bowl.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with thin layer of tomato sauce and spread it around. Lay 1/2 of eggplant slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Spread half of ricotta cheese over the eggplant, followed by torn pieces of basil leaves.
- Lay second half of eggplant, then cover with second half of ricotta cheese mixture. and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella followed by more tomato sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and return to the oven and broil the cheese until just beginning to brown, about 5-6 minutes.