- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb ground chicken
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all purpose flour (I used almond flour)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded then chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 6oz mozzarella cheese, divided
- Bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add rinsed and drained quinoa. Place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium, and then simmer until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat then let sit for 10 minutes with the lid on then remove lid and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick spray then set aside.
- Spray a large skillet over medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil or nonstick spray then add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until golden brown – chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through. Remove to a plate then set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium then melt butter in skillet. Add garlic and onion. Saute for 1 minute or until golden brown and fragrant. Sprinkle in flour then whisk to combine and cook for 1 minute. Slowly stream in remaining 1 cup chicken broth and milk a splash at a time, whisking to avoid lumps. Add Italian seasoning, season with salt and pepper, and then turn heat up slightly to bring to a simmer. Turn heat back down to medium then simmer until slightly thickened, 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat then add cooked quinoa, chicken, tomatoes and half the cheese and then stir to combine – mixture might look soupy but it’s fine.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.