- 2 1/2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, sliced plus 2 to 3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 fat tablespoons olive oil
- A few sprigs rosemary, coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- A few splashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 to 10 leaves of sage, torn or roughly chopped
- 1 pint large cherry tomatoes
- 2 large ears of corn, cut into 3 pieces each (optional)
- 1 zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch half moons
- 1/2 pound green beans, halved
Toss beef with sliced garlic, oil, rosemary, salt and pepper, and chill several hours or overnight.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and melt the butter. When foam subsides, brown the meat in 2 batches. Deglaze the pan with wine and add stock, meat, bay leaves, crushed garlic, nutmeg and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook for 1 hour over medium-low heat.
Add butternut squash, onion, sage, tomatoes and corn, if using. Cover and simmer 1 hour more, adding 1 cup water if liquid seems low. Add the zucchini and green beans, and cook 12-15 minutes more, until zucchini is just tender.